Saturday, November 13, 2010

Ladies and Gentlemen, My Brother the Failure...

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, I know this, glad I invested in plexiglass along time ago.
I'm not going to drag out my brother's old or current dirty laundry that doesn't pertain to me as much as possible but right now I am very angry with him and don't know what exactly to do because he is a sociopath and doesn't really care how he makes other people feel.
Back story, as a lot of people know, in May I moved back down to Wisconsin to stay at my mom's "temporarily" to save some cash to head out to San Diego. Along the way I got hooked on a girl and have a kid on the way so it became a bit more than temporary right now.
Around this time my brother was kicked out of the Army for reasons I will not go into, but being a good brother I helped my mom's boyfriend and drove out in one straight shot to help move him back to Wisconsin.
That meant he was ALSO going to be staying at my mom's.
My mom and I drew up a contract for him to sign as conditions for living in the house.
Once of the conditions was "respecting other people's property and space" since my brother has a knack or compulsion depending on how you look at it, for appropriating (read: stealing other peoples stuff).
First some of my medication went missing, medication that I need to function on a daily basis. He swore up and down it wasn't him. He took drug tests, though home drug tests do not test for prescription drugs.
Then more went missing and finally he admitted he took some but " not the first time".
That was the last straw for me, I couldn't live under the same roof as him anymore. So Suzy and John Michael let me stay with them.
Now I have an apartment that I am moving into in December so tonight after work I went to my mom's to get some things ready to move since I will be working starting tuesday for the next 9 days straight.
When I got there my former room was a pig sty. NOT how I left it.
As I was getting my stuff together I noticed that a jar of change I had hidden was EMPTY.
Not only that my stuff had been rifled through and a few things are missing that I can't quite put my finger on.
I don't know what to do.
Should I get the police involved once I take inventory of what is missing?
I texted him about it and no response.
I'm at my wit's end.
There are many many more things that make me want to complain about him but these are family things and not for everyone to know about.
At least he is out of my mom's house but stealing my stuff along the way, what can I do about it?
Am I being too materialistic?
I do take very very good care of the things I own and I am a collector. Maybe this is one of the lesson in life I'm suppose to learn, to let things go. That THINGS aren't worth getting upset about.
But I feel its more the principle that I'm being disrespected by my boundaries constantly being broken.
I'm about as close to disowning him as family as I can get.
What the fuck am I to do?

By the way, if I have my mythology correct, my current job is basically being Sisyphus, the man who is forever pushing a boulder up a hill and yet getting no where. No matter how many cars I clean, there are always more and this nine days I'll end up cleaning the same cars over and over again. Its kind of ridiculous. I wish I was making a difference with my job. At least at the movie theaters, I was in some small way adding to the enjoyment of someone's day.
I guess having those clean cars help people get from point A to point B but somehow that is less than comforting.
I suppose I'll keep looking for that job that makes me feel like I'm doing something important even if its only me that feels that way.
16 days til new apartment. HOORAY!

1 comment:

  1. i know what you are talking about i have a sister that is just like that you might possibly even know her

    ReplyDelete