Friday, December 24, 2010

It feels like summer in October...

I'm not a traditional person.
Probably shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who has known me for any length of time.

and I want to "$100 Groom" by Paul Westerberg played at my wedding.

Listen to either and you start to get an idea of what I'm talking about.
Not to mention that I find the movie "True Romance" infinitely more romantic than some drivel like "The Notebook".
Those are scratches on the surface of what make me not a traditional person.
I just don't see the sense in following what is "normal" for the sake of status quo. Doesn't interest me. I'd rather watch christmas themed horror movies than "A Christmas Story".
I have a tendency to take the easy route that ends up being the hard road. For instance, college, it just wasn't for me. I tried to 2 and a half semesters and I did well enough but I was bored out of my mind even in the classes that I have interest in, like Sociology and Pop Culture in the 21st Century. I do better reading and learning about things that interest me on my own time. Granted this way I'm not going to get an degree to put on my resume but I get more out of it learning at my own pace.

I've always said that I'd rather be happy than rich and since I don't have that college degree I don't really have the option to get rich and I'm ok with that. I can't say that I'm happy at my current job but it works for now and I'm always on the look out for something that will make me happier.
Its much more interesting to take the scenic route anyway.

Religion is another area where I don't take much stock into tradition. Christmas isn't my cup o tea. Mostly its the consumerism that has taken eaten up the idea of family that seemed to be the biggest reason to celebrate the holiday. That and the fact that once religion has used it to assert its dominance over every other which I don't agree with. Not that I side with one religion or another, well I guess that's the reason it bothers me, because I don't think one is more correct than any other. I don't like having one religion's beliefs thrown into my face every way I turn.
Some people seem to have a problem with the fact that I don't subscribe to any religious beliefs. I all I can think is why the fuck is it important. Maybe because I don't plan on raising my child within religion. If she chooses later on in life to post up with one then that's her choice. She could be a Scientologist for all i care but I have no desire to push her into anything. As long as I teach her to be respectful and kind then that is all the religion I'm concerned with.

I'm kind of rambling, I'm having a hard time keeping my train of thought since "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" is on. I had this well thought out ahead of time. Ah well. I doubt I've said anything the way I meant to. Bring on St Patty's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment