Saturday, June 16, 2012

Day 3 being socially inept

3 days.
3 days into this social... or i guess better put anti-social experiment and I cannot believe how difficult going cold turkey without Facebook actually is. I thought it wouldn't be that different but somehow it is.
Every time i open my computer up the first thing I do is look for the now erased bookmark for the site. Then I remember it isn't there anymore and set my focus to other websites of interest. Filling every spare minute with facebooking for years on end has taken a toll on how I view the internet.
I've noticed I've been a bit edgy, cranky even. I kind of blame that on lack of interaction with friends, because well, that was all the interaction with friends I got. Most of my friends are hundreds of miles away or have completely opposite schedules as me, or don't have the parental responsibilities so we never get to see each other. Shunning Facebook has really left me feeling like I'm stranded on an island. I feel like I don't know what to do with myself. I don't know what other activities to fill my time with. Video games have gotten tiresome, but I still play them more out of compulsion rather than enjoyment. TV shows feel like a worthless endeavor. I like watching movies, but watching them alone especially ones I have seen before takes the fun out of the movie going experience. Getting to enjoy the quirky, off-beat cinema that I love so much really only works when there is someone else around to talk/ make fun of said films.
I can ramble all day to myself about these movies but I'm not really one who talks simply for the enjoyment of hearing his own voice(contrary to how my blogging must make it seem).

I know I can get out of the house to do so activites but in complete honesty, I have no desire to do anything in the Madison area. The few things I would like to do would be showing them to my daughter alas she is too young for her to get excited about. It would be just another place and she wouldn't have any idea of its possible significance. I have still a few years of waiting til I can share my favorite places with her.
There are only so many times you can walk up and down State Street and I've walked a mudhole in that path. For most of Wisconsin, Madison is a pretty big town but I feel like I've done just about anything worth doing around here atleast twice.

As of right now we are pretty broke so any fancy road trips are out of the question. I know fun is what you make it and I've got to accept what I have and what my limitations are and find joy in the small corners of life here in Madison but it's tough for a cynical prick like me.

Can a damn website really cause this much malaise? In our age of non personal or face to face interactions truly it does. If you are so use to an activity such as this being so woven into the fabric of your everyday life and you cut that part out, it leaves a gapping abyss in how you relate to friends and family. Not that I am going to go crawling back to using said website atleast for the time being.
I feel that this is a transition period and I am going to figure out how to reroute those passages of keeping up with those I care about, it shall just take some time and patience to find those alternative means of staying connected.

As of now I am trying to keep from giving in to my most cynical, misanthropic urges and outlooks. I know I've got to stay on the positive side of things and I also do know that I am making a positive change in my life and accept that this will be a rocky transition.
Just so long as I don't drive those closest to me insane while I get readjusted to like sans Facebook.
I think I've always been a technophile so I feel like I'm going back to the stone age by chopping off the roots of my online social life and that can make me very antsy.

Self-intropection aside for a moment, today I did take in a noon showing of Prometheus and I really enjoyed it. I'd heard mixed reviews, some because they were expecting much more of a direct correlation to the Alien franchise and some because they thought there should be less. Without exposing myself to spoilers ahead of time I went in knowing a basic premise and little else and I got my moneys worth. This film does live in the Alien universe but doesn't allow itself to have that same cramped claustrophobic aesthetic of Ridley Scott's earlier work.
It hit at some really good points about who are we as a species and what got us to where we are. Prometheus did have its scares and special effects so it wasn't all esoteric ideas on human life. It brought up interesting questions that are left wide open so I'd assume to pick up the story again. It wasn't without some of those "why are you doing that" moments those were minimal. I will also say that some of the themes were a bit played up slightly too obvious and others more shrouded in mystery than was needed.
This film was very beautiful as far as cinematography goes. Really a beauty to take in. There is a scene though at the very end I felt was a bit tacked on to wrap itself further into the Alien mythos than was needed in this film, a sequel that will no doubt happen could have been used to do that with greater affect.
All in all I really did like Prometheus and I'd recommend it even if it was a bit uneven from the first two-thirds and the last act but I'm already looking forward to if/when the story continues.

I was very happy to get out of the house on my own with a purpose, helped to plug up the holes of boredom which is always  welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment