Friday, October 25, 2013

When The Music Hits Me, I Feel No Pain At All...

My weeks at work kind of drag, besides that Monday speeds by the rest of the work week crawls, it just slows to "no wake" zone speed which can get tedious so to pump myself pass the time quicker I've started coming up with themes for listening on my iPod.
The first day, Wednesday I started with touchstone albums from my early 20's( 21-25) that happened to be very Victory Records, "Strong Island" era heavy . Taking Back Sunday's "Tell All Your Friends", then Alkaline Trio's "Remains" but only the first half which is comprised of alot of b-sides and song  that were on various compilations which had two of my favorite ALK3 songs, "Queen Of Pain" and "Hell Yes".
Then I bounced back to Brand New's "Your Favorite Weapon" then Against Me!'s "As The Eternal Cowboy". Both Brand New and Against Me! had me singing along out loud and my co-workers probably wished I wasn't. Of course I had to jam to Motion City Soundtrack's "I Am The Movie" which again I couldn't help randomly busting out lyrics slightly off time. I think by the time I finished that album it was near my lunch break and end of the day so I had time for Saves The Day's "Stay What You Are". It was a nice way to end a pretty otherwise shitty day thanks to being struck down with vehicle troubles. That kept me from being able to go into work on Thursday.
Today I took the theme of "essentials/influential". Not really essential or influential to everyone just that had an effect on me and my evolving listening tastes. I cannot remember every album I went through but here are the few I do remember, in I believe as close to listening order as I took them:
Rancid's "Let's Go"
The Clash's "London Calling"
Dead Kennedy's "Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables"
Deftones "Around The Fur"
GlassJaw's "Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence"
The Get Up Kids' "On A Wire"
Bright Eyes "Lifted or The Story Is In The Soil So Keep Your Ear To The Ground"
Modest Mouse "Good News For People Who Love Bad News"
and then the last one for the day was Good Clean Fun's "Positively Positive"
Nice way to round out a Friday I think.
So I think I'm going to make this a regular thing. No playlists just browse my albums and see what theme I want to go for.

On another front, after a lot of good advice I have decided to do this Whole 30 diet thing starting November 1st. Now if any of you know me at all, probably haven't seen me eat a vegetable besides maybe a few carrots or mashed potatoes and also watched me eat copious amounts of pizza. My stomach issues have been a yo-yo for a long, long time now and as stupidly obvious as it is, I'm going to try and cold turkey all the shit food I tend to eat.
My regular diet of shit food has been a finely tuned selection of food that for some reason do not make me piss out my ass constantly. Not to say it doesn't happen with these meals, I had just got it to a minimum. Well that doesn't seem to be working anymore so after a chat with a friend I'm going natural.
I've done most of the hard parts already, quit drinking, no smoking, no red meat, no caffeine. Those usually the biggies but the only nook I cannot seem to clean out is sugar. I have an overpowering sweet tooth. It's pretty obscene. So essentially what I am doing is paring down anything with additives, sugars, things with very long hard to pronounce words on their ingredient list.
I will be surviving for the month of November on a diet of chicken, eggs, spinach, carrots, various fruits and some other vegetables that I may be bold enough to try. Oh, no dairy either.  Very tough for a Wisco boy to do but damn it I'm gonna go for it. I quit smoking cold turkey so hells bells, I can do this.
I have been ramping up very slowly towards November like the other day I ate an entire bowl of spinach and carrots without any dressing or cheese. Just a side of pan seared chicken and a vitamin water. Those V.W.'s will be missed but they are just sugar water basically so they are out. Regular water or water with lemon will be the replacement. Possibly peppermint tea, I am not sure if that is allowed yet.
I've tried cutting all of these things out over the years one at a time and never got any positive results but I honestly never thought about ( because I'm kind of thick and anxiety ridden when it comes to food) kicking it all at once. The Whole 30 thing is to give your intestinal and stomach lining a breather so it isn't alway being inflamed and irritated, thus heal itself. If this works and makes and vast improvements then I'll try as hard as I can to keep going.
Also to clarify this is not a diet that I am intending for weight loss purposes, I'm boney enough as is, this is just to de-toxify my digestive system and see if my health issues improve. I'll keep tabs now and again on here I'm sure as I dream of Culver's frozen custard or a Twix bar.

Another big development is Lucia is finally potty training. I'm not going to go all proud parent overboard but it's a big step and one I'm glad is coming sooner rather than later. It's always good to not have to buy diapers and wipes and all that jazz. Its' rather interesting though that I am starting to see my little girl as an actual real person, not just a baby. Her amount of independence and quick wit for a 2 1/2 year old really astounds me. I didn't think I'd be seeing or hearing some of these things she does at this age, I figured she wouldn't be very entertaining until at least 4. Not to say she doesn't throw fits of immense rage over the tiniest of problems but she is getting better. I'm sure it has to do that we are pretty hard on her to behave. Last thing we want is a problem child, one of those little dictators that you have to bend your will at everything for. So yeah thats a thing now.

Lastly I have to recommend to anyone and everyone who owns a Blu-ray player to watch Pacific Rim. I could watch that movie on loop. Its' so pretty, and there are giant fighting man powered robots and massive monsters coming out of the ocean to destroy everything. Great execution, visually and script wise. I think casting was nearly flawless. Seeing Owen from Torchwood cast in this movie was a geek out moment for me then Ron Pearlman shows up and is pretty great. This movie is just fucking fantastic. I shouldn't hype it too much or it's bound to let down. That's what happens to me with most movies that people LOOOOOOVVVEEEE, Sixth Sense for instance, everyone raved about, told me I must see it, I missed it in theaters then my girlfriend at the time rented it for me and I guessed the twist in the first 12 minutes and she got so mad at me. And the movie itself was less than spectacular. So take what I say with a grain of salt, but really, just watch the damn movie.

OK kiddos, I got roped into working a few hours tomorrow morning so I've got some horror movies to viddie before I pass off to dreamland for a scant few hours.
Alright well, don't bump your ass to hard when you hop along now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment